On New Year's Eve, you're likely to go out early while wanting to look your foxiest when midnight rolls around. Instead of constantly running to the bathroom for touchups and carrying a whole case of makeup in your purse, why not make things easier on yourself with a bit of preparty prep? These six tips, especially used together, will give you makeup that stays put no matter how much moving you do, and they certainly beat drunkenly trying to reapply your winged eyeliner in bad nightclub bathroom lighting (oh yeah, we've all been there). So to find out how to get it right and keep it going, just read more.
* Use primer. I know this may not be the first product you think about when you're considering your New Year's look, but it makes a world of difference. I love Too Faced Shadow Insurance ($17). I wore it under my chunky metallic duo tone shadow at the Lady Gaga concert, where I danced around, sweated, and otherwise behaved badly for four hours, then came home to find it all still perfectly in place. On the inexpensive end, I also hear good things about people using Monistat Soothing Care Chafing Relief Powder-Gel ($8) as a foundation and eye shadow primer. I know it sounds a little gross, but people say it's great, and it contains dimethicone, which is the primary ingredient in most high-end primers.
* Wear bright colors or go totally nude. Extremely bright color wears well over the course of a night, because even though it fades, you still get plenty of pop. Red lipstick that you also like when it's semisheer is especially good. Your other best option is to go with nudes, so that your look only changes subtly as it fades.
* Try lip and cheek stains. Benefit's Posietint ($28) is a pretty pink that stays on cheeks forever.
* Focus on your eyes. You'll almost certainly be drinking and eating, so your lipstick is going to fade significantly. A well-drawn cat eye done in waterproof liquid liner will look gorgeous and sexy all evening.
* Curl your lashes and try a tubular mascara, like Imju Fiberwig ($24). Tubular formulas don't flake like traditional mascara, meaning that you don't accumulate undereye mascara smudges at the end of the evening.
* Use a fixative spray on top of your makeup, like ModelCo Beauty Fix Airbrush Face ($28), which makes all your makeup water resistant. If you've put primer on under and fixative on over, your makeup shouldn't budge all evening.
Add to del.icio.us