Olivia Wilde of the popular medical drama House, M.D., arrived at the 2009 Emmy Awards looking simply beautiful. Opting for a dramatic overall look, Olivia Wilde has her signature look down pat. It includes dark liner along the waterlines, some smoky shadow and a pink gloss, her bold and beautiful makeup highlighted what we can expect to see all over for makeup looks in fall 2009.
Here is how you can get the look worn by Olivia Wilde at the 2009 Emmy Awards:
- Apply a foundation primer over the entirety of the face.
- Start with the eye makeup. Whenever you are creating a dramatic eye, especially one with dark colors, doing the eye makeup before you apply foundation can save a lot of hassle. Dark eye colors tend to "fall" and leave speckles all over the cheeks. When this happens, simply wipe away the shadow without disrupting any other makeup. Using a dark eyeshadow, such as Dior 2-Color Eyeshadow in Black Lookout, apply the isdarkest shad all over the lower lid of the eye. This is the part of the eye that goes from the lash line to the crease, or the fold of the eye.
- With an angled brush, extend the eyeshadow up and out, like a cat eye, to create a thick, dramatic upward sweep.
- Continuing with the angled brush and eyeshadow, line underneath the eye, to desired thickness. Oliva Wilde is sporting a rather thick look, that may or may not be comfortable for everyone.
- With a waterproof or water-resistant eyeliner, line the inner rims of the both the upper and lower eye lids. This helps to make the lash line appear thicker and fuller. The trick to Olivia Wilde's dramatic Emmy look is not seeing any of the lid peeking through where eyeshadow and liner should be. MAKE UP FOR EVER Aqua Eyes in Mat Black is perfect for this, or any other smokey eye look.
- Curl the eyelashes and apply two coats of your favorite black masacara to complete the eyes.
- Apply the right foundation for your skin type. Olivia is wearing a sheer-to-medium foundation that provides subtle, even coverage without looking flakey or dry. A liquid or cream moisturizer would provide the same look for most skin types.
- Sweep a peachy-pink, natural looking blush, such as NARS Orgasm, across the cheeks, in and upward and outward motion. Less is more when applying the blush in Olivia Wilde's Emmy makeup look.
- Line the lips with a neutral lip pencil the matches the shade of your natural lip color. Then, apply a soft pink lip color that matches your skin tone. Viva Glam V, by MAC Cosmetics, is a choice for almost every skin tone and texture.
- Fill in the eyebrows.
- Apply a light translucent powder over the face with a large powder blush.
Because the eyes are the central part of the look worn by Olivia Wilde at the 2009 Emmy Awards, everything else is kept netural and soft. When wearing a dramatic eye, it's important to let the other aspects of the overall makeup look enhance the focal point. By choosing to accentuate only the eye, Olivia Wilde's makeup looks sexy and sultry without being overdone.
Add to del.icio.us